Wednesday 31 August 2011

Quick Cadiz.

Anyone who knows me will know that I love Spain - the weather, the people, the tapas! I have a special adoration for Andalucía; I went there last year and again 2 weeks ago, to Puerto de Santa Maria, just outside of Cádiz. Just like in California, being by the sea there was an abundance of fresh fish (although the Andalusians seem to preferred it battered and fried), and a speciality of the region is cázon de adobo, which is marinated shark. I'm a massive fan of tapas, as I feel they really bring everyone together and inspire conversation, so I was right at home during this holiday! Here are some of my foodie highlights:

- Gazpacho: that famous cold tomato soup, which actually contains more veggies like cucumber and peppers. It was perfect in the sweltering 40 degree c heat of Seville!

- Albondigas de cázon: shark meatballs! They were so meaty and delicious in a rich tomato sauce.

- Anchoas a la plancha: grilled anchovies. During my time in Spain I really began to love fish (plus it's so healthy and good for you), and these were gorgeous with just a squeeze of lemon.

- Pulpo con patatas y pimentón: octopus with potatoes and spices. This was great for a break from deep fried fish, with a nice kick.

- Tuna tartare with soy and wasabi: What more do I need to say? It's universally translated as DELICIOUS!

Overall, I was really impressed by the food I had in Spain. It was really fresh, simple and great to share. Sorry for the lack of foodie photos in this post - I was too busy soaking up the sun and having fun with friends to be the biggest tourist ever and snap picks of every plate of food! However, continuing on the theme of tapas, I tried a great tapas restaurant today in Soho called 'Tapas Brindisa', and I highly recommend it for a little taste of Spain! Here's the link so you can have a look-see:


Hasta la vista :) xXx

No comments:

Post a Comment