Monday 6 June 2011

The Bio Blog.

For a bit of a break from health facts I thought I'd tell you a little bit about myself and why I started this blog - just in case you're interested!

As you know by now, I'm Nati, and I've lived in England all my life. Growing up I wouldn't say I was super-healthy, but I had a good diet. My Mum is an amazing cook, and I was never a fussy eater - I was just as happy with a bag of crisps as with fruit and vegetables - so I'd say I ate a variety of food. Having a father from Iran, and a mother from Switzerland is definitely a plus, as it meant I grew up eating food from all over the world, and I was exposed to loads of different flavours as a young child, so I didn't really have a chance to be fussy!



One thing I definitely wasn't a fan of, however, was exercise. P.E. lessons were the worst part of my week at school, and when we had to run our annual 1500m run in high school, I could've died. That began to change around the age of 16 though. Perhaps it was being a teenager and growing up, and the image consciousness that brings with it (joy!), but I joined a gym and was determined to get fit and healthy. I was never overweight to begin with, so it was more about toning up, but my first membership didn't go so well. Motivation and general enthusiasm was lacking, so I gave it a break till 6th Form rolled around - and that's when it all changed.



I fell in love with the gym. I was toning up, getting fitter, and generally feeling great. I still ate basically what I wanted, so Nutrition Nati hadn't yet made an appearance. School came and went, and after one gap year, one failed term at a university I hated (I've now re-applied and am going to King's in September), knee problems reared their ugly head, and my love affair with exercise was forced to end. In January of this year I had knee surgery, and I've basically been out of action since then, so this is where my health kick starts. Seeing as I could no longer exercise, I thought I would have to address my diet in order not to pile on the pounds whilst sitting in bed! I've always loved cakes, bread, coffee - all the supposedly 'bad' things - so I started researching ways to still enjoy these wonderful things, whilst staying vaguely in shape.


And so comes the blog! I've always loved writing, so I thought I would combine that with my new-found passion for nutrition, and share it with you along the way - and I really hope you're enoying it so far! I've got a lot of time on my hands, thanks to these pesky joints of mine, so expect lots more entries, recipes and health facts (next on the agenda is a quick note on carbs)! Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions or comments!!

Nati xXx

No comments:

Post a Comment