Wednesday 15 June 2011

Superfood Salads.

I am such a salad fan - it sounds sad but they are healthy, there are never-ending combinations of ingredients, and a great lunch-time meal (or at least that's when I eat them)! I wrote a blog a while ago about superfoods, and so I thought that I'd share some salads that are super-tasty, and filled with superfoods! For some of the ingredients I haven't put exact measurements because it's really up to you how much of each one you want to include, so I'll leave that part of the recipes up to you. If you are vegetarian then of course leave any meat/fish that I've put in the salad out, and perhaps add in another vegetable of your choice. Also, as you'll have noticed, I haven't given any instructions; you have free reign to chop up the ingredients and throw them all together as you wish - it's so much more fun that way!

For the dressing, if you want one, I just keep it simple and have olive oil, lemon and a bit of salt and pepper. This keeps them nice and light - perfect for summer!


1) Pink Popeye
1 grilled chicken breast (no skin)
Quinoa
1 avocado
Handful of spinach
Seeds of 1/2 a pomegranate

2) Rocking Red
1 roasted red pepper (you can roast it yourself, or buy it jarred)
1 tomato
Puy lentils
1/2 red onion (try and eat it raw for the most health benefits!)
Tuna (either tinned - line-caught only please - or fresh)


3) Go Fish
Smoked salmon
1 cooked beetroot
2 spring onions
Handful of watercress
Handful of lettuce


4) Berry Nutty
Turkey (either grilled breast, or sliced)
Dried Cranberries
Walnuts
Half sliced fennel
(And lettuce if you want more substance to this one. A dollop of fat-free natural yoghurt instead of the dressing mentioned above would also work well with this salad.)


5) The Superfood Salad
2 large raw beetroots
3 carrots
150g broccoli, cooked (although I love raw broccoli - I'm just weird like that!)
1 roasted red pepper
Handful of pumpkin or sunflower seeds
Tofu


I hope those salads have given you some inspiration to ditch those mundane sandwiches and soups, and try something new! If you're making them for your lunch at work, you can make them the night before, put your dressing in a little plastic pot and just pour it on the next day - no more standing in the inevitable queue at Pret during your precious hour off!

Look out for my blog about the gym, coming up next!

Nati xXx

No comments:

Post a Comment