Thursday 9 June 2011

Brilliant Bones 101.

Having had a lot of problems with my knees, and having been told that I possibly have the early on-set of arthritis in my hand, I thought I should do a quick entry about keeping our bones bouncing!

1) Why should I worry about my bones?
Well, we only get one skeleton in our lifetime, and figures have shown that over 400,000 people in the U.K. are living with rheumatoid arthritis. This is partly because we're living longer, but our diets also have a massive impact on our bone health.

2) What exactly is rheumatoid arthritis?
It is an inflammatory, auto-immune condition, where immune cells attack bone and cartilage after invading joint fluid. The bone then begins to be eroded, and joint fluid becomes displaced, causing inflammation and cartilage erosion

3) How can my diet help to prevent this?
Your diet should be high in anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory foods. Vitamins A, C, D and E also play a key role in keeping our bones strong.

Vitamin A = a great source is carotenoids, found in foods such as squash and apricots
Vitamin C = Peppers, kiwis etc.
Vitamin D = Sunshine, and soya products
Vitamin E = Nuts and seeds


4) Are there any foods that can aggravate the condition, or contribute to it?
Many people can have an intolerance to certain foods, without even noticing it. If you continue to eat these foods, it causes your body to show symptoms such as inflammation, as your immune system is kicked into overdrive. I'm no expert in food allergens, but the most common ones are dairy, wheat and gluten. If you notice the onset of symptoms after eating either one of the foods, then maybe consider going to your GP and asking to have an allergy test done.

5) What are some anti-inflammatory foods I can include in my diet?
The best ones are fish, onion, green leafy vegetables, and spices such as ginger and turmeric.


6) And finally, are there any supplements I can take to aid bone health?
Yes, the best ones to take are glucosamine chondroitin, and also fish oils as they help the absorption of calcium.


Look after those bones of yours, after all you're going to be needing them for the rest of your life!

Nati xXx

No comments:

Post a Comment